Description: Description: C:\Users\Rosauro\Desktop\images\logo.GIF

Home

Donation

Patterns & Links

Calendar

FAQs

About Us

Beneficiaries

Photo Gallery

Newsletter

Contact Us

FAQs

                    

What is Project Linus?

We are a National Non-Profit Volunteer Organization that provides new, handmade, washable blankets to critically ill and/or traumatized children, 0 to 17 years of age.

What can I do to help?

If you can sew, quilt, knit, or crochet: you can make a blanket 36”x36” up to lap or twin size.  Your blanket can be any pattern, any color(s), using 100% cotton fabric if sewing or acrylic yarn (no wool) if knitting or crocheting.

We also accept knit caps for the babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Supplies for Make a Blanket Day

Call Suzann for specifics 818-994-9675

We have an iron and ironing board for your use.

Where can I drop off completed Blanket(s)?

     Answer:       

1a.    You can bring your blanket to any blanket event listed on our calendar.

2b.    You can drop it off at any of the following businesses during their business hours:

 

Chatsworth Residential Drop Off

Call 818-994-9675 for contact information               

Tujunga Residential Drop Off

Call 818-994-9675 for contact information               

 
Upland Vac & Sew
http://www.uplandvacsew.com
113 N. Second Avenue
Upland, CA 91786
909-949-488

                      

Candy's Quiltworks


8549 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91324
(818) 349-7397
                  

 

 

The Creation Station!
Fabric & Quilt Shop
http://www.thecreationstation.com
252 East Hwy 246 Unit A
Buellton, CA 93427
805-693-0174
Kingdom Vacuum & Sewing Center
8923 Reseda Blvd.
Northridge, CA 91324
818-993-8933
 
 
Kingdom Sewing Center
1790 E Los Angeles Ave. Unit D
Simi Valley, CA 93065
805-579-1571
 

 

Sewing Machine Warehouse
www.kneedle.com
16214 Nordhoff Stree
North Hills, CA 91343
818-332-7777
866-429-3432 Toll Free

 

New Moon Textiles
info@newmoontextiles.com

(626) 578-9432
1756 E. Colorado Blvd.
Pasadena CA 91104

 

 

Quilt Emporium
http://quiltemporium.com
4918 Topanga Canyon
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
818-704-8238
 

 

 The Sew N Sew
http://www.thesewnsew.com/
160 North Glendora Avenue, Suite E
Glendora, CA 91741
Phone: (626)852-2223
Fax (626) 852-2228

 

What can I donate instead of a new, homemade, washable blanket?

You can send a check made out to Project Linus, or purchase a gift certificate from a store that sells 100% cotton fabric or acrylic yarn.  You could buy cotton fabric in child friendly prints and/or colors or skeins of acrylic yarn and donate it to our chapter.  If you or someone you know has a stash of new fabric or new yarn consider going through it and donating any large pieces of fabric or any skeins of yarn that you can spare.  Plus there are other items we need listed on our donation page.

If I send a check to you, what happens to the money?

For our chapter to get credit the check must be sent to our address and then along with a form it is submitted to National in Illinois.  Our National Headquarters keeps 20% and the other 80% goes into a chapter account for our community efforts.  I submit receipts for reimbursement or purchase blanket labels and other supplies provided at cost by National Project Linus.

Do you get together and make blankets?

Yes, please check our calendar page for a complete list of dates and locations for this year’s Blanket Days.  We meet 2 to 4 times per month, having a wonderful time while each person brings their own supplies and any equipment needed to work on their own blanket for Project Linus.

Do I need to finish my blanket at the blanket day or by a certain time?

No, most blankets cannot be finished in one day plus there are NO deadlines.

This is an ongoing effort so no one will be questioning about where is your blanket or why haven’t you finished it.  You have as much time as you need.  This is a loving effort and I want you to enjoy what you are doing while your doing it.

Do I have to come to a blanket day?

No, they are fun but many of my blanketeers prefer to just work at home or on their work breaks and then contact me when they have 1 or more blankets to donate,

What if I am new or not very good at these crafts?

We can help you perfect your skills and all of these skills get better with practice. Project Linus is more than ready for the results of your efforts.

What do I bring to a Blanket Day?

Please see the suggested supply list.

What is a Blanket Day?

We meet up to 4 times a month (see calendar page) in 4 different locations in 4 different towns, and this is where we bring our own equipment and supplies for each of us to work on our own blanket for Linus.  There is a lot of fun and talent in the room which results in a great deal of sharing.  Every 3 to 4 months we have voluntary blanket challenge.

I see you meet several times a month from 9am to 3pm. Do I have to stay all day?   No, a lot of blanketeers do but once again there are NO rules so you can come and go as you please or just stop by for a visit. This is a very informal gathering.

Where do the blankets go?

First, they make a short stop at my home where they get checked for a Project Linus label and one is sewn on if needed. Then the blanket is tagged with the poem that appears on our Home page.  Next, the blankets are sorted and bagged by size.  They then go to the “Wall of Blankets” until needed. I deliver approximately 200 – 300 blankets per month.  95% of our blankets go to children in either NICU or PICU in the hospitals listed on our beneficiary page.  The remaining 5% go to special requests for children coping with a terminal illness, coping with a fatality in their family, coping with being removed from their home due to abuse or police action and many more painful reasons.

I know of a child (0 to 17years of age) who needs a blanket, what can I do?

Please contact me, Suzann McGinnis, at 818-994-9675.

I need their name, age, reason for need, delivery address, and telephone number and we can hopefully meet their needs.  Occasionally depending on the time restraints we can fulfill special requests for a theme blanket. For example if the child loves animals, dance, sports, music or has a favorite color.

Can I deliver my blanket to the hospital?

No, this is a stipulation from National.  All blankets are to be delivered by the Chapter Coordinator. All blankets must be identified by the official Project Linus label.  In most cases I do not see the children and babies in ICU due to their severe conditions. The blankets are left with the nurses who take great care in selecting a blanket for each child in their unit.

Should I wash my blanket before it is donated?

If you have pets or if you smoke, it is advisable for you to wash your blanket prior to donation and place it in a sealed bag upon removing it from the dryer.  Keep in mind, most of our blankets go to very sick children.

 

Project Linus – Burbank, Glendale, San Fernando, San Gabriel Valleys, Los Angeles

Home  •  About Us  •  Donation  •  Beneficiaries  •  Patterns & LinksPhoto Gallery  • Calendar  •    Newsletter •   FAQs   •  Contact Us